| My D.O.D. at my wedding. I don't have many digital pictures of him maybe, I'll dig some more up. |
About a year ago my dad had passed away. I've been slowly working my way through his collection of stuff in the garage, house, storage and everything. He collected all things and didn't really believe in throwing much of anything away.
He was a welder by trade, but would tinker in every aspect imaginable. At a young age for him he hurt his back, had some back surgeries gone wrong, and was disabled. This happened at a very early age for me.. I was taking my first steps when he was in the hospital for the first surgery. Fifty two days he was in there.
That being said I had a stay at home dad. A dad who would work on cars, do leather work, weld, and eventually found a love for computers. I spent a lot of time with him, tinkering around and taking stuff apart, changing oil, painting cars.. You name it, I did it with him.. He'd say, "You and me against the world, Lloyd.. You and me.."
I've found myself missing him very much, through this last year.. He'd been in poor health for along time, and this wasn't unexpected by any stretch of the mind. But I wasn't ready.
Part of my dad being my dad, was he was up for a deal. He couldn't pass up a deal.. His saying was "If I can't steal it, I don't need it!" That means a large garage being filled overflowing, storage buildings, and the house, filled with you name it. I'm an only child and always dreaded the day, that I'd be cleaning up after my dad. For many many reasons. Maybe I'll get into them later.
Well fast forward to the present, and it's not at all like I've imagined it. It's been in part my therapy. Cleaning up in the shop, sorting tossing, getting excited about finds and new found space. I have also found tinkering, and building in his shop to be good for my soul.. I have really enjoyed my new found shop time, and I wanted to share some of my thoughts, and projects with you..
I'll post a few pictures of gifts, I've build in the past couple months for Christmas and Birthday gifts. Tell me what you think.. I can post about specifics later.
Thanks!~







Beautifully said, Lloyd!
ReplyDelete